Sunday, February 16, 2014

Leadership Is More Than a Title

“There are only two ways to influence human behavior: you can
manipulate it or you can inspire it. Leading is not the same as being
the leader. Being the leader means you hold the highest rank, either
by earning it, good fortune or navigating internal politics. Leading,
however, means that others willingly follow you—not because they
have to, not because they are paid to, but because they want to.”
― Simon Sinek


I don’t like it when people call me “president”. 

It’s not that I don’t like being a Young Women President but it isn’t the
title that makes me one. Almost 3 year of services has surety taught
me that lesson.

I could have told them I was called by divine revelation.
I could have made them call me “President Mok”.
I could have pushed them to look great in public and be “successful”. 

But until I’ve shown them how much I love them and everything I do is 
about them (not me), “president” is just a title, not a description of my
role as a leader.

Today’s lesson was a bench mark and a comforting reassurance.
A super quiet and anxious YW read a 5 minute story starting the
discussion. A YW shared a recent lesson she learnt about making
right choices and bursted into tears. Another YW emotionally shared
her constant struggle choose her priority for spiritual and worldly
matters. My new counsellor shared her own experience doing the
same. I talked about my experiences interviewing for a PhD program
and how faith has been my hope and the only comfort.

These precious moments don’t come because of my title. 
They come from the little moments when I respond to their texts and
Facebook messages late at night.
The tissues I pull out and wipe off their tears and just simply listen to
their struggles.
The heat and blame I have taken allowing them to exercise their
agency and learn from their choices.
Sometimes even the frustration I swallow and the last bit of courage
I hold on to come back and do it again next Sunday.

I thank all the leaders in my life who show true leadership by their
actions and love. 

K.D.

“Leadership is not a rank, it’s a decision.” Simon Sinek



No comments:

Post a Comment